Northern Rhode Island Amateur Hockey League
Rules and Regulations
I. General Rules
a. No Checking (Minor Penalty assessed)
b. No Slap Shots (Minor Penalty assessed)
i. Draw limit for ANY shot is level with the hip.
c. Automatic “no touch” icing
d. One 30 second time out per team, per game.
i. Minor Penalty: 1:30
ii. Double Minor Penalty: 3:00
iii. Major: 5:00
iv. Misconduct: 6:00
v. Game Misconduct: Ejection plus 1 game suspension
vi. 3 minor penalties will result in a review of game conduct with the executive board; 1 game suspension
1. A second game with 3 penalties, that is determined to warrant suspension, will result in a 2 game suspension.
2. A third offense will result in a 3 game suspension
3. A fourth offense will result in no less than a 4 game suspension and a review for expulsion.
vii. Fighting: A fighting penalty will result is a suspension for the remainder of the season.
viii. Intent to injure: An “intent to injure” penalty will result in an indefinite suspension, pending review of the executive board.
ix. If a punch is thrown FOR ANY REASON during the commission of a minor penalty, regardless of the referees call, a review by the executive board will take place to determine the suspension; past incidents will be taken into account.
x. Unruly or un-sportsman like behavior will result in a review by the executive board for possible suspension or expulsion.
xi. THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS FOR SUSPENSIONS DUE TO VIOLATION OF RULES.
f. All players must be current on their payments, you will not be allowed on the ice if you are not current on payments.
i. Helmets are REQUIRED, facemasks or cages of some type or strongly recommended.
i. 3, 12:00 periods, NO OVERTIME (see playoffs)
ii. ICE TIME: Any complaints about ice time will be taken SERIOUSLY; if an issue is found to exist, captains will be removed and replaced, this is a recreational league and all players pay the same (THIS INCLUDES POWER PLAY, PENALTY KILL, AND THE LAST MINUTES OF CLOSE GAMES!!! IT CAN NOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH THAT THIS IS A RECREATIONAL LEAGUE), if you feel you are deserving of more ice time, then feel free to seek out that ice time in another league…
1. A players may ONLY sub for A players.
2. B players may sub for A or B players.
3. C players may sub for A, B, or C players.
4. D players may sub for any players of any rating.
5. New alternates (alternates that have not been rated by the executive board), are automatically considered A players until a rating can be established.
6. A Full Time Player, not on his/her bye week, (goalies excluded) from cannot, under any circumstances (except forfeit), play for a team other than the one that drafted him/her.
7. Alternate fees are to be collected by the captain of the team, if an alternate fee is not collected, that alternate will be barred from the league until fee is paid.
a. Alternates from the sub list: $15
b. Alternates from the bye team: $10
i. Alt fees are subject to change, check with league officials for most current pricing.
8. Alternates are on a 1st come 1st served basis, any alternate that declines a team and suits up for another team for that same week will be removed from the alternate list. (Captains should ask an alternate they call if they have already turned down another team!!)
9. Alternates can not skate for the same player on the same team for more than 3 consecutive weeks unless previously authorized by the executive board.
10. All alternate information must be give to the league scorer, by the captain, PRIOR to the start of the game; including name, rating, and player that he/she is replacing.
11. Alternate goalies will be required to pay an alternate fee for each game, beginning in the 4th game during a regular goalies absence, regardless of whether the games played by the alternate are consecutive or not.
12. All players will be given email addresses and phone numbers to contact their captain and/or league officials, if they are going to miss a game, if teams ore found to not be calling (unable OR unwilling), alternates will be called for you, as time allows; captains will be contacted to check on alternate progress. Captains should notify players to NOT seek out their own alternates. It is the captains’ responsibility to ensure the team ratings requirement is balanced.
ANY TEAM FOUND IN VIOLATION OF RULES ON ALTERNATES WILL FORFEIT. CAPTAINS AGREEMENTS WILL NOT BE RECOGNIZED BY THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE. GOALIES ARE RATED AS WELL AND COUNT TOWARDS THE RATING BALANCE
The ratings balance will be announced per season at the draft based on players available.
i. Refunds for injured players must be discussed with the executive board.
j. Replacements for injured players must be discussed with the executive board prior to any captains vote
a. ALL TEAMS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS
b. The team finishing in 1st place will have a 1st round bye.
c. Point ties in the standings:
ii. Head to Head record
iii. Goal differential
iv. Coin Toss
d. Ties in the Playoffs:
i. There will be a single 5 minute OT, followed by a 5 person shootout.
1. Shootout – the captain alone will determine the order of shooters, if the tie is not broken after 5 rounds, the shootout will continue as sudden death, no player may shoot a second time until ALL non-goalie players have gone. Once the order is established it remains in place.
e. Alternates in the playoffs
i. Alternates may be used in the playoffs with prior approval of the executive board and must be at least one rating lower than the missing players
ii. Once an alternate has been named, he may only be replaced by the original player, if the alternate is out; another alternate may be used but must be one rating lower again.
iii. Eliminated players may be used after the 1st round, but may not be used by any team choosing to play shorthanded in order to wait for said eliminated players.
Unruly or un-sportsman like behavior will result in a review by the executive board for possible suspension or expulsion.
If you have questions about the league rules, please contact you’re a league official or your captain. Issues regarding ice time or other locker room issues will be kept in confidence.